Lexi and Raygen


Lexi (08/04/2000 – 11/25/2016) Raygen 11/06/2004 -11/25/2016)

Rest in peace my little Boston Terrier companions. Thank you for many years of joy you gave our family!.

Yesterday was a very difficult day. Our decision to euthanize was the humane thing to do, but didn’t come without much deliberation.. Both suffered from dementia. Their bodies had begun to break down.  Raygen recently began having seizures.  Last week her eye ruptured, apparently due to pressure from a seizure.  She seemed to be in terrible pain. . Lexi had become extremely frail and skinny even though we were feeding her more and supplementing with nutritious home made dog cookies.  Both were deaf and nearly blind.  The dementia was taking a toll. Their quality of life had diminished and they spent most of their days in confusion.. But oh my what a life they had!  They packed a lot of personality in their sturdy little Boston bull dog frames!

Lexi:  Doodles, Lulu)

She was a gift for my daughter’s tenth birthday.  We went to Conyers and picked her out, or maybe she picked us. She made eye contact as if to say “Pick Me!”.. She was quite possibly the cutest puppy we’d ever seen.  She ran around the yard like a little Poland China pig!  She routinely made a nest out of Erin’s hair, and growled like a little gremlin. When researching the breed, we learned Boston’s are the second smartest breed. Lexi was so difficult to housebreak, we began to doubt that.  But she was a super smart girl. At Christmas we hung stockings for all our dogs.  She ignored the stockings ’til Christmas day. Then she would sit under her stocking and whine or bark. She did this as soon as we started opening our presents. This went on for years.  She loved having her back scratched, loved to eat, and loved to go anywhere in the car.  When she saw us getting our bags packed for a trip she  started getting excited.  Because if we were going to Florida the boston girls always went along. . When we put on her collar and opened the door, she would dart out and find our cat, Sugar, and proceed to bark repeatedly in her face. As if she were saying Nani Nani boo boo, I get to go and you don’t!   Once when heading home from Panama City, we stopped to get some food.  We were only going to be in there for a few minutes and it wasn’t hot so we left the girls in the car. I forgot about a bag of chocolate cookies left on the floorboard. We got back to the car to discover she had eaten the  entire package.  We drove to a Publix, bought some peroxide to force her to throw up the cookies. Not a fun thing to do, but it worked!  Lesson learned.   She was a lot of fun for many years.  I wish I had kept a journal of all the funny things she did.  She aged into a grumpy old lady dog.. A crusty old girl,  but we loved her. And I hope she knew we loved her.

Raygen (Ray Ray

We rescued this sweet girl. She came to us with a bad reputation, but we never believed any of it for a minute.  They said she snapped at a baby!  We learned it was because a baby was trying to stick a q-tip in her ear!   She was the sweetest, most loving dog anyone could ask for.  She had been to several homes before ours. The first few months we had her she began shaking when we took her anywhere. I guess she thought she was going to be abandoned by us as well.  We got her from my sister in law, Teresa who was fostering her until  she could be placed in a forever home.  When we heard her story, we agreed to commit.  We never regretted  that decision.

She received family fame for howling to Ah Zabanya.  Jackson thought this was hilarious! She was sweet, cuddly, and smart. It was during a trip to Florida in October 2010 we noticed a change in Ray. She was just lying around. Her nose felt warm. We decided to cut our trip short and head home the next day.  She had an appointment with our vet the next day, but by the time we got to Columbus she was so listless we took her to an emergency care vet.  They gave her meds for her symptoms, but were clueless as to why she was sick. We took her to her scheduled vet appointment the next day. Doc Hendricks treated  her with antibiotics. But he didn’t know what was wrong either. Her symptoms worsened and by November she was almost dead. Our vet referred her to Auburn.  After a couple thousand dollars for tests, they were stumped as well.  She had lost most of her hair and was a skeleton!  They started her on Prednisone to see if it would supress what they guessed was an autoimmune disease. It worked a miracle!   She responded well and soon was back to her normal weight and her hair returned.  It was the best Christmas present!  She remained on Prednisone until her death.

Saying goodbye to these beloved pets is very painful, but I know they will live on in our hearts. Right now we are really feeling the void of their absence.  They touched our lives in a very positive way. Rest in peace sweet baby girls.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s